Sunday, September 12, 2010

Senior Year

So this post is a little late, but it has truly begun. I felt the buzz that first Tuesday when we all entered the new senior studio, back together again.
Let us make of this a productive year. As Tara said in conversation, let us "Build our islands." Let us live and create and enjoy and work hard and inspire one another and be inspired. Let us find what holds our fascination, what will sustain us from now until the end of our days. Let us never stop asking questions. Let us discuss these and find amongst one another challenges to our views in order to expand and to grow.

Let me begin this discussion by proposing a question: What would you be doing if there was no such thing as a camera?

1 comment:

  1. Oh man. I know if I hadn't gone to art school I might have majored in the Classics at a big university but that's not where I'd want to be. In hindsight, I can't see that having been a good plan in any way. But art-wise, if there was no camera, perhaps I would pursue sculpture or printmaking...though honestly I'd just want to invent a camera. Or some sort of photographic process. I don't think a camera is the best way for my ideas to formulate, anyway, but it makes a good tool for sketching out ideas as well as a good tool for helping to create something else. I've gotten so sick of photographs that don't reference any other medium or thoughts beyond a traditional, two dimensional photograph. Of course that depends on what that actually classifies as to you, but to me it means something very specific. If it's not pushing the medium in some form I tend to be a little disappointed. Does anyone else feel that way?

    That's a good question, Aryn. Maybe my answer to that will shape as I think about it. I couldn't ever know for sure, of course, time and fate aren't on my side to favor an answer.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete