Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Grounded,


I've been becoming more comfortable with this new series of mine, which as of now I've dubbed Grounded.  I was just able to display it at Boston's First Friday event in the studio where my internship is.  Here are a few images that I'm most settled with of the work-in-progress.

all © Rose Tarman

In the art community, a landscape has always been understood as a specific scene in nature, void of human presence and typically are-inspiring in beauty.  Why does a traditional landscape have to be perceived as a wide-angle view of a gracious mountainside, endless field or whatever else people like to look at?  Why should I care about that scene?  I contest that a contemporary landscape can be infinitely more than that, without the traditional understanding of land and space.  The places I photograph collectively speak of human connection, abstraction of location and have a level of ambiguity that allows them to be associated with a variety of experiences.  They speak to a deeper and more rounded understanding of the spaces I travel through and inhabit through the comparisons and contrasts within their pairings and groupings.

 
At First Friday:


Rose

1 comment:

  1. These are great rose! They incorporate some qualities of your old work but many other great things are happening in them. I'm excited to see how this grows.

    ReplyDelete