Saturday, April 17, 2010

Thesis,

What's it like?  Tell me about it!  I skyped the opening on Wednesday to say hi to the seniors but couldn't really see the work because of video quality. Plus I only saw a small fraction.  Whose work do you like, what went wrong, is the show as a whole good?

I came across a blog with work and interviews from MassArt's seniors, it's interesting. Take a look.

side note: I met the Triiibe triplets last night, if you're not familiar you should take a look.  They're performance artists who realize their performances as photographs, they have a team of people working with them to create absolutely amazing pieces.  Their photographer, Cary Wolinsky, is fantastic as are their makeup artist, editor, set designer and framer, among many others that work with them on occasion. I met them at a curator and collector opening for their current show at Gallery Kayafas. The show is astounding, the prints are perfectly pristine, quite huge and each is framed differently to accentuate the photographs. Also, each print is a unique object, there are no editions in the Triiibe world.  Once a print gets bought, the next one up for sale is visually altered in some way, changing the concept of the image as well as the physical art object. I love that idea, sometimes I get so put-off by editions.  It's a strange hierarchy of reproductions. Anybody have thoughts on editions?

Rose

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed looking at thesis this year. I'm not sure if it was because I knew more of the people or the good crowd on Wednesday, but over all some great things were happening. I think some of the CD majors were better than last year, which is always nice to see. Also some of the interior architectural designers had some really awesome ideas, one about a round theater, transformable bed, bench and credenza, as well as a church. Can't wait to see what will happen next year.

    ReplyDelete