Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Magda Biernat


I found this on conscientious. Its really interesting work, click on a series, then the artist statement. I really like "inhabited" and "quietly forgotten".
She talks about the series "inhabited" and that between 2007 and 2008 she traveled around the world to like 17 countries! damn that would be sweet! Anyway, hah,






















© Magda Biernat

I like this part in the statement alot- "The world's cultures may be very different, but when seen through a consistent lens in terms of simple geometry, the complexities of cultural variation fall away. Here I turn my camera onto the ordinary details of everyday life, past the complexities of race, religion or cultural differences and onto the similarities of the mundane."






















© Magda Biernat

I think that the part about the "consistent lens" is very interesting and important to the way we all photograph. Making things cohesive guess you could say.


~ Tom Owens

1 comment:

  1. Looking at Biernat's website I'm interested in the series you talk about, Quietly Forgotton and Betel Nut Beauties, but I find a lack of explanation in the latter two. I want to know why these photographs are being taken and what the point is, but I either find an artist statement that is hugely generic or not one at all. Inhabited is definitely the strongest of all the series, in my opinion.

    Good find though, thanks for the reference. I do love the statement and images from Inhabited.

    ReplyDelete