Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Tom Owens: work in progress.

Here is what I have been working on lately. I havent been able to shoot nearly as much as I would like, but you know how that goes... 


 













© Tom Owens

this is kind of the latest artist statement.

In this unfamiliar industrialized area everything around you seems to be in some sort of decay or wear and tear. Expensive metal equipment and big structures begin to fall to nature’s strengths over time. This equipment is either frequently used or completely forgotten. All these things are sure evidence of man, but the absence of life during these hours in these vast spaces almost creates an eerie and unsettling feeling.

I am interested in the transformation that happens at night when nothing is being used and every thing looks lifeless. This industrialized area, to me, becomes almost surreal, creating a vast space that has no end. Taking away any form of human presence and using the colors of the night almost like a mask, my intention is to create beauty out of deterioration.


Tom Owens


I dont know, I still think its a little cheesy, especially at the end there... I think that deterioration should be part of it, but maybe not that strong. I dont know. I've been talking with Larry quite abit. My work is really consistent but I just need to work out the thinking part. I guess many of us have that problem. I have been trying to read alot of interviews of night photographers (alot s actually not that many, they are hard to find), but larry thought it may be a good idea to look at "daytime" photographers that work in the same "style", or use the same type of "lighting" or something like that. If anyone has any suggestions, on the work or photographers to look at, please let me know!


Thanks

3 comments:

  1. These are beautiful, Tom. And that's a very eloquent artist statement, I love the phrase 'fall to nature's strengths'. I do agree the end is a bit cheesy, though definitely true. I want to know what about your past has made you specifically be driven to make this kind of work, I feel like there has to be some connection. One of my teachers, Barbara Bosworth, was talking the other day about how she had a fellowship at her childhood home to make photographs, which is a crazy thing in itself. She said she realized why she photographs what she does while she was there. There was something about the long bay windows framing the forest behind her house that must have just stuck with her forever because that is exactly how she photographs. Her images are windows into nature, beautiful landscapes with a nostalgic pull toward our more primitive days of childhood. It's an interesting idea, that we all have something that made us the way we are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious to find out what blog platform you happen to be using? I'm having some small security issues with my latest website and I'd like to find something more safe. Do you have any solutions?

    Feel free to surf to my web blog: indiana auto insurance

    ReplyDelete